Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Would you spend $25 for a lightbulb?

I did.  And here's why:

  • Non-toxic (no mercury like fluorescents)
  • Inexpensive over time
  • Excellent light qualilty
  • Dimmable
  • Instant "on"
  • They work in most fixtures

By 2014 the US plans to no longer sell incandescent bulbs. That give consumers just over a year to figure out what to replace them with.

Fluorescents take time to turn on, the light is harsh, they don't fit in some of my fixtures, they don't dim (and wear out faster if you have them on a dimmable switch), and worst, they run on mercury vapor. I'd hate to have one of those break in my face, wouldn't you?

I've tried out a lot of different bulbs over the past several years. These bulbs are expensive, but I figure if I purchase them slowly, it won't hurt so bad.

Will you try one?