Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Milky Way

"Inspiration can be found in every action if you just pause long enough to see."\

I think the thing the kids most look forward to in summer is sleeping in. 10:30 a.m. and not a peep from the four slumbering teens. Miss is now on a 16 hour stretch, broken only by a brief midnight snack. Son was up looking at the stars at 2 so I don't expect to see him anytime soon.

Living in the city I have few opportunities to bask in the light from the Milky Way and watch for space junk hurtling by. Last night the lake was so still you could hear someone talking two miles away. The starlight reflected off the water and ended its long journey in my eyes.

With no moon in the sky, I was surprised to find the sky lighter than the trees above. We sent our mind's eyes far into space and stood holding hands in the deep quiet.

This morning as I reflect on that special moment with my son, I remind myself to soak it in where I can. To pause and wait for the ideas to bubble up. To close my digital screens and rest my eyes. To open my ears and mind to the drifting meditation that takes me into a deep well where inspiration and perspective is found.

*****
Dear reader, where do your ideas come from? Do you find (screenless) space everyday for quiet?