Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Every Sunny Minute

Today was one of those summer days you want to etch into your memory. Warm, but not too hot. Calm and boatless for much of the day. A gentle afternoon breeze, enough for an easy sail. And all the time in the world stretching out in front of you, inviting us to play.

We finally managed to tear the boys away from the wii, Granna away from her book, Dad away from his numbers and me away from my business planning, and all get in the water. Miss played in the shallows with a neighbor for hours. Countless handstands, somersaults and mermaid stories were enacted.

I swam with Mother and Dad separately, kayaked a mile out into the center of the lake and back (a first!), tried out (not so successfuly) the new stand up paddleboard, and took Son on a sail 3 miles out.

Together we prepared ribs, homemade potato salad and orange chocolate cake for dinner. The boys went out fishing with Grandpa, while Miss slept off her first case of sun sickness.

Yes, an African American child can get sunburned while using SPF 30. Yes, its possible to have too much of a good thing (at least that's what my back is telling me). Yes, everyone went to bed hours before their usual time: whupped.

Tonight I'm planning to sleep soundly knowing that I went all out today and didn't waste a minute.