Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ballard Crab Legs


This morning I popped by my neighborhood grocery, the Ballard Market, to pick up a few basic items (salt, eggs, butter, and cheese) and I see Alaskan King Crab legs are in season. Once you've had fresh crab legs, it's hard to ever eat frozen ones again. Still, at $25 a pound, one leg is so big it cost $12. I'm eating by myself tonight, so I splurged. What's $12 when it would cost me far more than that to dine on them in a restaurant? The great thing is they are so easy to prepare, you don't have to make a gourmet recipe to love them. Just sauté in a little butter with some pear/spinach salad on the side. Yum.

There's been a lot of talk lately about knowing where your food comes from. So I asked the fishmonger, "Who caught this crab?" 

Turns out it was a Ballard fisherman who moors his boat at Fisherman's Terminal, just across the Ballard Bridge. It was fun to discover, as well, that the boat is featured on the Discovery Channel's show, The Deadliest Catch

I'm not only eating crab that supports local fisherman, but I'm also eating celebrity crab! Makes that $12 seem so affordable, I'm tempted to go out and buy another leg. I can taste it now, crab quiche, crab cake, crab crepe, crab salad. Next stop http://www.epicurious.com/!